Sunday, July 25, 2010

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams


I like taking a break from novels and history to read plays. There's something very satisfying about knowing that you can sit down with one and finish it in two hours. Alas, it also leaves you with the feeling that you need to see it on stage to get the full effect. In my humble and, frankly, uninformed opinion, I think this play is Tennessee Williams at his best. You can almost feel the tension when you turn the pages.

The picture is a scan of a photo I took on a disposable camera back in my Camp Marymount days. I tried to find a picture of Tin Roof cabin, but I had to settle for one of the senior camp lodge pre-facelift. One of the many things for which I can thank camp is for introducing me to the tranquility of falling asleep to the sound of rain plopping on a tin roof.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a huge Tennessee Williams fan (heresy, I know); however, I agree this is one of his better efforts. Somebody asked me one time what I thought the theme of the play was, and my answer was a recurring line from the play. "Wouldn't it be funny if that was true?" :-)

    ReplyDelete