Monday, April 19, 2010

How to Be Good by Nick Hornby


What does it mean to be good? When is charity no longer charity? Can someone who is good really be bad if they are not good enough? Weird spiritual conversions and living arrangements aside, I think Hornby struck upon something worth pondering. A lot of the book deals with a play on the words "how to be good," and at one point the husband and live-in spiritual guru begin to write a book with that title, which the main character decides she is going to need to read. The picture for this books is, well, less than creative. I'll do better next time.

I liked this quote about reading as well, "It is the act of reading I miss, the opportunity to retreat further and further from the world until I have found some space, some air that isn't stale..."

No comments:

Post a Comment