Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson


This book came into my hands through an interesting turn of events. I was taking books collected from a book drive to the public library, and the volunteer there struck up a conversation with me about how much she loved this book. I told her I might have to come back and buy it at their next sale, and she told me just to read it now and donate it when I was finished. It's been in the trunk of my car for three months. A week ago, during the first bout of ice 2010, I broke the ice off of my car with the sole intent of getting to this book. All in all, it was a good read. The author uses smell as a main part of creating scenes, which, unfortunately, is lost on me. In typical New York Times bestseller fashion, he also uses big words for no real reason and uses sex as a way to keep the reader interested. However, beyond that, the story hooked me with its description of San Piedro Island circa 1954. Guterson manages to show the interaction between the island population and its struggles to come to terms with its past treatment of its Japanese-American citizens. A good snowy day read (no pun intended).

No comments:

Post a Comment