Friday, December 24, 2010

Derrida for Beginners by Jim Powell


"America is deconstruction." --Derrida

Dr. Palmer lent me this one about a month ago when I stopped by his office when I was up at CBU hanging up posters. In the course of our conversation, I mentioned that whenever anyone in my seminar classes mentioned theory, I got hopelessly confused. He lent me this book that he had read when he took philosophy of history when he was in grad school to help me get a handle on deconstruction/textuality. It is certainly the most accessible philosophy book I have read; the cartoons helped. It was also purposely flippant and would drive any serious philosopher crazy. For me, it was all the philosophy I could handle.

1 comment:

  1. If you ever have a desire to explore more deeply into Derrida's work, or the other poststructuralists (Foucault, Barthes, etc), I am happy to make some recommendations. I take your point about not liking theory, but it really is worth the trouble, in the long run...

    ReplyDelete